Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:37:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Terry Todd <tlt@tltodd.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   checking out audio

I'm trying to get audio working.

I recompiled the kernel with the lines:

controller      snd0
device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

I ran:

sh MAKEDEV snd0

Here's what cat /dev/sndstat reports
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995 freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers:
Type 2: SoundBlaster

Card config:
SoundBlaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1

Audio devices:
0: SoundBlaster Pro 3.2

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: SoundBlaster

Timers:
0: System Timer

Mixers:
0: SoundBlaster

And dmesg is reporting:

Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
Sound: DMA timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

This is on a Toshiba Tecra 720 laptop running FreeBSD 2.2.7.
The book says the sound is a Crystal Semiconductor CS4232,
Yamaha OPL3 (YMF262) and Yamaha D/A converter (YAC512)
compatible with Widows sound system and SoundBlaster Pro.

KDE works great on it except for sound which is something
I'm doing wrong with setting it up in FreeBSD I'm sure.

When I cat a file to /dev/audio I can hear a very very faint noise
as the file starts to play but no sound comes out.  The main volume
slider is all the way up in the KDE mixer panel.  I tried catting
/bin/cat and several .au files and several .wav files and they all
do the same thing.  If I run the slider up for the microphone in
the KDE mixer while playing a sound file I can hear feedback but
only while playing a file.

It looks like I have the right IRQ/DRQ settings but that's what it's
complaining about.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Thanks,
Terry Todd