Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:47:59 -0700
From:      Jason C Ingham <jingham@crimsonweb.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Monitoring the IP usage of a single IP address on an ethernet

At 01:38 AM 7/23/97 -0400, Gary Palmer wrote:
[...]
>If you have a smart hub or a switch with a SNMP agent, and you just
>want basic bytes in/out, thats probably the best way to go. If you
>want more detailed statistics (e.g. bytes for ftp, bytes for telnet,
>etc) you'll need an IPFW/IPFilter based solution,

I there any document (beside manpages) that would detail this process? I've
found some for Linux but want to give FreeBSD a go. (Besides just *playing*
with it.)

Also, I just read that IOS 11.2 does bandwidth shaping (or limiting.) Can
IPFW/IPFilter do that? Like Joe gets 64k max, Sally gets 128k, etc. Can
this be variable based on time of day? Can these tools output html so
customers/users can see 1. How much of their b/width they're using and 2.
What sort of traffic (based on percentage/totals etc.) is flowing?

Maybe mrtg can be twisted into doing some or all of this via snmp all based
on stats output by IPFW/IPFilter???

Any help/hints greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason Ingham