Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 96 14:09 MEZ
From:      me@muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports INDEX browser update

In lists.freebsd.ports you write:

>The reason I asked about the event granularity was just from the
>POV of performance; if we're handling events character-by-character
>we're going to have to bind rather more tightly to the text widget.

You feed it strings. The one-character version is just a special case
of that. It even wraps around by it self. The output speed is about
as fast as xterm's, including scrolling. It doesn't jump-scroll as well
as xterm, but that's a moot point these days where graphics cards usually
start out at beyond 100.000 XStones. After all, we *had* a replacement
for xterm in mind. Back then, output speed was cruical. I haven't looked
at TK's text widget lately but I remember Emu (and xterm) being way faster
for larger amounts of text.

Michael (me) Elbel
--
Michael Elbel, DITEC, Muenchen, Germany - me@muc.ditec.de