Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:35:40 -0800
From:      Dave Daine <ddaine@onque.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dinz@videotron.ca
Subject:   Questions about using dhclient with DHCP

I am using DHCP. I would like to:

1) Start up with networking disabled, or rather, with dhclient disabled,
because my other machine may have already grabbed the only dynamic IP
address that my ISP will give me.

2) Start (may be after releasing the lease from my other machine) and stop
dhclient at will.

I tried bringing the network interface down with "ifconfig dc0 down", but
"ifconfig -a" keeps on showing the interface as active, and "dhclient:
send_packet: No route to host" messages keep on popping on my console.

Thank you.