Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:24:10 -0800
From:      Chris Lott <chrisl@thethirdsector.com>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Inherited a system

I've inherited a FreeBSD system (uname says: 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE
#0:). I have quite a bit of experience with Linux, but not much with
FreeBSD. I am impressed at this point because this box is the most stable of
our underpowered boxes, but I am quite unclear on syhstem particulars.

My main worries right now are: disaster recovery and upgrading to a more
recent version. This box does heavy duty service as a web server with a mix
of static and slash sites and a mail system (using PostFix) not to mention
backup DNS. Because there is so much stuff going on, some of which I am
probably unaware of, my normal upgrade procedure of wipe, install new OS,
and reinstall sites and apps isn't possible.

Should I worry about upgrading? Any advice about disaster recovery routines?

Chris Lott