Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 12:55:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      stanb@netcom.com (Stan Brown)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.com (Free BSD Questions list)
Subject:   Help with SCSI tape drive device ID's

	I have managed to trash my FreebSD box beyond useage viat cvsup'ing
	what was evidentally the wrong sourec tree.

	With help from a very kind person on this list I have it in what is
	probably best refered to as "limp home mode". I need to restore last
	weekends backup (see I do have backups :-)). I have been making backups
	by mounting the whole machine over NFS (actually using amd) to an HP
	735 with a HP DAT tape drive.

	At the moment I can't get NFS to work to/from this machine (no big
	suprise), so I have attached the DAT drive directly to the FreeBSD
	nachine. I have never done this before so I am a ltille lost here. The
	tape is found during boot as AHA unit 3, I get a messsage saying it has
	been asigned to st0. When I look in /dev I see no /dev/st0*, so I did a
	MAKEDEV st0. This resulted in 4 devices called st0ctl.[1-4]. The backup
	is asimple ar of the whole machine, what I need to do is basicly:

		cd /
		tar xvf device_name

	My quiestion is what device name should I used?

	Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems