Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:25:55 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SOFTUPDATES

I've been following this thread and decided to enable softupdates on
my system.

Read /sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates

Did ``boot -s'' and ran tunefs but got an error:

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
# pwd
/
# tunefs -n enable /usr
tunefs: soft updates set
tunefs: /dev/rda1s1e: reload: Invalid argument

What caused this? There's no reference in the manpage.

The only odd thing about my system is that I'm running a 3.4-RC kernel
with a 3.3-STABLE, as of the end of September, userland (yeah, yeah, I
know I shouldn't do this, but I needed something adding to the kernel
but haven't had time to make the world, and it's running fine).

Softupdates appears to be working fine:

marder-1:/usr/mark{52}% mount
/dev/da0s3a on / (local, writes: sync 102 async 174)
/dev/da1s1e on /usr (local, soft-updates, writes: sync 73 async 492)
procfs on /proc (local)
/dev/da0s1 on /drvc (local)
/dev/da0s5 on /ntfs (local, read-only)
marder-1:/usr/mark{53}%

My /etc/fstab:

# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/da0s3b		none		swap	sw		0	0
/dev/da0s3a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/da1s1e		/usr		ufs	rw		2	2
# /dev/da0s3e		/var		ufs	rw		2	2
/dev/cd0c		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0
/dev/da0s1		/drvc		msdos	rw		0	0
/dev/fd0		/pcfs		msdos	rw,noauto	0	0
/dev/da0s5		/ntfs		ntfs	ro		0	0

--
	"there's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture
	that allows you to install Windows too  ;"