Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:10:59 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Michael A. Alestock" <ma.alestock@verizon.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Error

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:40:48PM -0800, Michael A. Alestock wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> Can you please tell me what this error means:
>
> mail: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Exec format error
>
> I get this error when trying to send mail (internally to other users on my
> host).  I think the error might have to do with the recent patch I tried
> appying to my FreeBSD v4.7 system.  Although I didn't install the patch
> correctly (because of a "file not found" error), I think it has something to
> do with it.  Sendmail was working fine before I tried applying the patch.
>
> I looked on the Sendmail.org website for a FAQ on this error but was
> unsuccessful.  Do you known where I could find info/resolution to this
> problem (error)?  Much help would be greatly appreciated....THANKS!

It seems that you've managed to corrupt /usr/sbin/sendmail.  Or quite
likely /usr/sbin/mailwrapper, to which /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symbolic
link by default.  What's the output of:

    % file /usr/sbin/sendmail
    % file /usr/sbin/mailwrapper

'Exec format error' isn't specifically a sendmail error.  That's the
OS telling you that you've tried to run a file which isn't a binary
executable.

Easiest way to recover your system is to go through a
buildworld/installworld cycle: if you upgrade to the latest 4-STABLE
or 4.7-RELEASE-pX system you'll get a fixed version of sendmail
automatically. See these sections of the handbook for instructions:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

	Cheers