Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:54:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.com>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems with mp3 audio and pcm (this thing is HUGE)

Yo,

IRQ 5 seems to be shared between the ISA soundcard and a PCI device
(uhci0).  While this harmless in some cases (i.e. you have been
fortunate not to have a problem so far), very obscure problems such as
interrupt loss may arise.

This can be fixed by changing CMOS setup.  I think your BIOS is
brain-damaged a little so it preallocates the same IRQ to your soundcard
and the USB controller while it shouldn't.

Try turning on `PNP OS Installed' and `Reset Configuration Data' in CMOS
setup, and if it doesn't solve the problem, try manually setting the PCI
IRQs to something other than 5. (If you run out of available IRQs, don't
worry, you can have IRQs shared among PCI devices.)

Hope this helps,
Eugene

PS. There is another chance that your machine is an SMP box (I just
guessed from the kernel config) and it may have some DMA problem.  Try
accessing a floppy disk; fdc0 uses ISA DMA too, and if that wedges your
machine you're really stuck.  Quite a while ago (last winter?) I had the
same problem with my cousin's dual P200 box but couldn't solve it at
all.

--
Eugene M. Kim <ab@astralblue.com>

"Is your music unpopular?  Make it popular; make music
which people like, or make people who like your music."