Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:07:43 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Soulofwolf899@cs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Before I return FreeBSD to the store...

> I have just one question to ask before I decide to purchase 3.4 after I
> return 3.3 to the software superstore where I purchased it... have you fixed
> the damned installation error which prevents me from installing the software
> with an APTAI CD-ROM?

Not entirely sure what you mean but...

> I am happy to give FreeBSD a chance to prove itself to me but I cannot unless
> I can install it!  If you have not fixed it in this version then please keep
> my e-mail on file so you can notify me when you have.

I think people have slightly more important things to do that notify
everyone personally when a specific bug/feature is fixed/implemented...

> ps - after spending an hour of my time moving the blasted pin on my CD-ROM to
> every possible combination, without of course the manual, in order to make a
> "slave", I gave up and I have no desire to do it again.  Make sure to let me
> know when FreeBSD is as easy to install as ANY of my LINUX packages;
> including RedHat 6.1 and TurboLinux 4.

Basically, what I have found in the past is that there is a general rule
of thumb when installing CD-Rom devices / hard drives.  It only seems to
affect FreeBSD (*shrug*).  Depending on how many IDE devices you have, the
configuration slightly differs, but here are two configurations that have
worked for me.

2 IDE devices - 1 HDD, and 1 CD-Rom

IDE0		Master		HDD
		Slave		-
IDE1		Master		CD-Rom
		Slave		-

3 IDE devices - 2 HDD's and 1 CD-Rom

IDE0		Master		HDD
		Slave		-
IDE1		Master		HDD
		Slave		CD-Rom

and on another machine, this configuration worked:

IDE0		Master		HDD
		Slave		HDD
IDE1		Master		CD-Rom
		Slave		-

Without knowing more information about your setup, I'm not sure how else I
can help (I'm not entirely sure I'm an authoritive source anyway).

Please bear in mind that the only symptoms I have suffered previously have
been my CD-Rom mysteriously disappearing, which I have cured with one of
the above configurations.  But, we all know all too well that the same bug
can manifest itself in different ways with different effects.

Good luck! :)

Cliff