Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 02:52:00 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Matthias Meyser <Matthias.Meyser@harz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache log files

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Matthias Meyser wrote:

> On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 11:45:57AM -0400, Ayan George wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how much of a perormance impact forking logger would
> > have vs. using syslog(), especially on high traffic servers.
> >
> As I understand the the "piped to" programm is only forked at startup
> and then all further logentries are piped to it.

Yes, that is what happens.  I am running about 60 virtual web servers
here, each piping their separate logs through the 'rotatelogs' program
supplied with apache, logging to the users' home directory.

You will have to keep an eye on available FD's though, as each pipe also
requires a shell.

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas