Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:37:49 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch/Announcement for DHCPD remote root hole?

I think you misunderstood my message. Yes, the port is updated,
but the package is not. In fact, if you use /stand/sysinstall
to list the packages for 4.5-RELEASE on ftp.freebsd.org, you
see an entry for isc-dhcp3-3.0.1.r4, which is quite old.

This is a major security problem. Users who install FreeBSD
(either over the Net or from a CD-ROM) and use /stand/sysinstall
to bring in the package (which the program encourages them to do!),
will instantly make their systems vulnerable. Whenever a port is
updated due to a security problem, the package on the FTP server
and mirrors should be rebuilt at the same time. Otherwise, every
new install -- even over the Net! -- is likely to be vulnerable.
This is not good for users, for the Net, or for FreeBSD's reputation.

--Brett