Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:12:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Todd Reed" <ex279@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kicking off current users

Todd Reed <ex279@hotmail.com> types:
> OK, I'm not sure if I've been asking the right questions or what, but here
> goes for a final time!
>
> I use the "shutdown -k now" to disable logins.  If anyone is currently
> logged into the system, they do not get kicked out.  How can I kick all of
> them out to prepare for a backup without doing a shutdown?

You can't do it with shutdown. It doesn't do anything to "kick users
off", it just issues warnings and then takes the shutdown action
requested by the flags. Shutting the system down is what really kicks
the users off. Since -k doesn't shut it down, they don't get kicked
off.

What I would recommend in your situation is to just use shutdown, with
no flags. That will take you to single user mode, from which you can
do your backups safely.

You can kick users off by hand with killall command. That will leave
daemons running, which can screw your backups up as badly as active
users.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.