Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:10:45 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of /usr file system (was: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200112161616.fBGGGKg49403@aslan.scsiguy.com> "Justin T. Gibbs" writes:
> : Has the requirement for the root partition being first in the disklabel
> : been removed?  I prefer to have my swap partition as close to the front
> : of the disk as possible to take advantage of the faster tracks.  If /
> : needs to come before swap, and / is *huge*, swap gets slower.
>
> Yes.  This requirement has been removed.  I have:

When did it even exist?  There should only be a requirement that the boot
loader is first on the disk (or slice).  On i386's, boot1 must be in the
first sector and boot2 soon after.  boot2 defaults to reading configuration
and booting from the 'a' partition, so you need a filesystem on the 'a'
partition of the boot drive unless you want to change this manually every
time, but the 'a' partition does not need to start at offset 0.

> My -stable system is on partitions a and e (eg / and /usr), but my
> -current system is on partition f...

I sometimes boot manually from a non-default partition, and used to
always boot automatically from a non-default drive on one system (by
redirecting to the boot drive using /boot.config).

Bruce