Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:34:39 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        "questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Subject:   Re: Pocket Ethernet Adaptor (Parallel)

> It sounds like his NIC is the kind that plugs into the parallel port. Does
the
> NE2000 driver work for those, too?

Good question .... I couldn't find a mention of those in the archives. My
guess is the
NE2000 driver doesn't work. I know there are a few NICs that won't work from
the kernel config menu during install ... I've never had reason to delve
more deeply
into that issue because there are certain NICs that work EVERY time so I
take the
easy way out & stick to the ones I know.

> Any idea where to get the RTL8002 based pocket ethernet adapter? I've only
been
> able to find the Xircom ones.

I would have sworn the RealTek parallel ones don't normally get to OZ ...
maybe the
one Brian has was brought in by someone from overseas (he is some sort of
university
type guru & there are all sorts of people around those places). The odds are
the
RealTek company in Taiwan (or wherever they are) ignore emails like most all
asian manufacturers of computer garbology , so the only chance of getting
info would be to
poke around a heap of laptop distributors.