Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:53:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@cray.com>
To:        Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
Cc:        Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Server Linux to FreeBSD

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

>Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:53:05 +0200 (CEST)
>From: Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
>To: Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@cray.com>
>Cc: Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG,
>    freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: Web Server Linux to FreeBSD
>
>Jeffrey Dunitz writes:
> > On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Lee Reese wrote:
> >
> > >Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:20:44 -0400
> > >From: Lee Reese <lee@gwinnett.com>
> > >
> > >Hi.  I'm in the process of converting our web server from Slackware
> > >Linux to FreeBSD (Apache).  We need a down and dirty way to transfer the
> > >/etc/passwd file to a format the FreeBSD understands.  Please resopnd
> > >via e-mail.  Thanks.
> >

> > I wish I could go into lots of detail here, but I can't.
> >

> > So there's two example password entries, one from a standard unix password
> > file and one from a FreeBSD master.passwd. Note that freebsd has some
> > extra :0:0: stuff.
> > Also notice that the fields are separated by : characters.
>
>There is more than this. There is an essential difference
>between DES-encryption and MD5-encryption of passwords. Both
>is possible with FreeBSD. I don't know about Linux.
>So far there is no easy way to convert between DES- and
>MD5-encryption.

that's true; I thought of that right after I sent that mail.
yesterday or a few days ago, someone asked how to set up a FreeBSD machine
so that it would recognize DES passwords, but when the user changed it,
it would be encrypted with MD5. Look back a few days and you should find
the thread I'm talking about.

>BTW, Jeffrey, what version of FreeBSD are you running ?

2.2.6, thinking of going to 3.0.