Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 11:26:26 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getting sound with an SB AWE64 on FreeBSD 4.0-release

Generic Player wrote:

> > > You have to run the makedev after you boot the kernel with the driver
> > > in it. I have an isa AWE64 and I added
> > >
> > > # pcm Sound Device Driver
> > > device          pcm
> > >
> > > # For non-PnP cards:
> > > device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> >
> > Wrong system. I have an AWE32 in one of my systems and all I did was
> > add the "device pcm" and do the makedev after booting the new kernel.
> >
> > Since you have a kernel with the "device pcm" in it, have you just
> > tried redoing the MAKEDEV.
>
> > Kent
>

> OK, I tried that now and I have sound.  Glad it was that simple.  Now, you
> said you don't use sound in KDE, but do you know much about it?  When

Getting sound on FreeBSD really is simple but you have a 1, 2, and 3
sequence that you have to follow.

You missed what I meant, I think. The only time I use sound is in KDE.

> I startx I get the error from KDE:
>
> Could not find mime type
> audio/x-playlist
> in /usr/local/share/applnk/Multimedia/KMp3.kdelnk

Sound like you have a setup problem in KDE but I don't know what. I
installed KDE from the port. I know I had to tell KDE to use system
sounds from the KDE control panel. I went to sound > system sounds >
"enable system sounds". When I did that and matched up the sounds with
the appropriate wav, I had sound in KDE. You might find what the
quality of sound on your system is by playing with the system sounds.
What I get is as good as I get from Windows 2000.

Making kscd run was a matter of telling it to use the proper device. I
have an ATA cdrom, which is /dev/acd0c from the setup. You get into
kscd setup by clicking the button with the screwdriver and the hammer
on it. You select your CDROM dev from the kscd option tab. Getting
cddb to work is more trouble. You have to be online and "enable remote
cddb". Then you have to modify the cddb server from www.cddb.com to
"us.cddb.com" and tell it to update. It thinks a bit and suddenly you
have 6 CDDB Servers.

I kind of wonder if it is a KDE version problem. I'm running
kde-1.1.2, kdebase-1.1.2, and kdelibs-1.1.2.1. I haven't tried to do
any MP3. You might find it is scratchy because of your network
connection. I've been trying to learn spanish and playing shouted MP3
streams over my 56kb modem is not as good as I expected. I have one
radio station from Oaxaca, Mexico that I can listen to with out noise.
It only broadcasts mono but I haven't tried to run it on FreeBSD. I
use Winamp on W2K. In the room where I spend most of my time, I have a
P-III 450 - W2K machine on one side and a P-II 400 running FreeBSD on
the other. I'm usually want all of the system and I run my audio on
the W2K machine. If I were doing big, long builds on W2K, I would play
the audio on the FreeBSD system. It doesn't matter to me if the sound
comes from the front or the back. I'm doing a buildworld right now but
will try to do MP3 when I get through.

I have number of wav audios that I have on my server. I nfs_mount the
drive and play the wav from KDE. It is Kmedia. They sound great.

> And if I run xmms all I get is scratchy noises, but mp3blaster will play
> mp3s just fine.  Any ideas?

No idea. I think I installed xmms on one of my machines but have never
run it.

Kent

> Thanks
> Generic Player

<snip>
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html