Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:40:52 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Downloading a successful INDEX build rtp via freefall?

On Monday 27 October 2003 02:08 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Monday 27 October 2003 01:48 pm, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > > The build scripts don't do anything with the INDEX.  That's all done
> > > by hand during and after the build.  However, it might not be a bad
> > > idea to copy of the full INDEX once it's complete for purposes of
> > > commitment.  Or, perhaps Kris could modify his RTP build to do the
> > > same.
> >
> > Ah, alright.
> >
> > > Hosting an INDEX file on freefall might be a bad idea given its size
> > > and lack of disk space on freefall.
> >
> > It compresses down to 472K, atm: nothing I'd loose sleep over hosting
> > given its small audience of users.  I'll sit on this for a day or two
> > to wait for a few more responses before automating this.  -sc
>
> I think the most common problem people have with portupgrade is caused by
> their INDEX files not being up todate. They think cvsup does it all because
> that is all that is mentioned in the Handbook.

What I would like to see is a bz2 version of INDEX and INDEX-5 on my favorite
local ftp mirror. Grabing them from my gateway machine using anonymous ftp
would be much faster than the 2x 20 minutes I spend rebuilding them on my 4.x
and 5.x build machines. Rebuilding INDEX[-5] can take an hour or more on slow
machines but downloading with a modem might only take several minutes.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA