Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 17:15:52 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        wils743@banet.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: purpose

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998 wils743@banet.net wrote:

> I recently purchased FreeBSD 2.2.7 with the intention of demonstrating
> the use of unix commands since I don't have a unix machine available.
> Will this be feasable ? Also I would like to find out if there is a

yes.  the basic unix commands are pretty much similiar
between all the "flavors".

> Fortran compiler that I can use with the FreeBSD operating system.

here is what i have on a minimally installed system:

f2c(1)                   - Convert Fortran 77 to C or C++
f77(1)                   - FORTRAN compiler driver
fpr(1)                   - print Fortran file
fsplit(1)                - split a multi-routine Fortran file into individual fi

> I am going to install the operating system on a seperate hard disk
> devoted only to FreeBSD. I will be installing from CDROM. Am I likely to
> encounter any problems ?

probably! ;)  but i encounter problems with
almost anything i do in life ...