Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:28:56 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yet another patch to try for softupdates panic

On Sep 18,  3:41pm, Luoqi Chen wrote:
} Subject: Yet another patch to try for softupdates panic
} This patch could be the real cure for the `initiate_write_filepage' panic
} people were seeing during make -j# world. I have posted another patch
} about a week ago (in fact, I have committed it), but it turned out to be
} no more than a no-op (thanks to Bruce for pointing it out, it was an
} embarrassing silly mistake of mine). I certainly hope this patch will do
} its work: this patch should fix a race condition between directory truncation
} and file creation that could lead to the `initiate_write_filepage' panic.

You may be onto something here, but something that really bothers me is
why the truncated part of the directory still has outstanding diradd
requests.  In order to truncate the directory, the entries in the truncated
portion must have been unlinked first, which would have freed their
diradd dependencies.