Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:19:21 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Wade Buchanan <Wade.Buchanan@mci.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fault Tolerance(Raid), multiprocessor configs, and Clustering

Wade Buchanan wrote:

> I know practically nothing about FreeBSD, but I am interested in knowing if
> Fault Tolerance and Clustering are supported.  If so, How is the clustering
> done, and what types of fault tolerance are supported(such as Raid 5) etc.

We use individual systems with RAID5 controllers provided by DPT, Vinum will
also provide RAID5 functionality in software (and is in 3.0 onwards)...

As for 'true' clustering 'ala WolfPack etc. - I'm not sure, I remember seeing
a few projects mentioned in the past - maybe someone else will step in with
some info?

Where I work, we tend to get our fault tolerance from the application layers
(e.g. multiple mail exchanges, web servers etc.) - rather than at the
operating system level...

> Also is FreeBSD multiprocessor capable?  If so how?  Thanks for your time
> and help.

FreeBSD from 3.0 onwards is multiprocessor (SMP) capable...

-Kp