Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 2002 19:56:57 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Helmut Hoernle <hhoernle@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk Geometrie

Helmut Hoernle wrote:
> hi  freebsd
>
> During Installation FreeBSD 4.7 does not akzept the parameters the Harddisk
> Geometrie  values of a IBM IC35L100AVV .
> the bios is showing 49275/16/255 ;
> Linux  Kernel 2.4.19 can handle the disk and showing the geometrie of
> 199450/16/63.
> FreeBSD does not want to accept this parameters and is showing
> 12514/255/63 . Accepting this proposal will reduce the capacity
> ( because of bad blocks (they aren't there) ) and produce
> error messages running FreeBSD.

I don't understand what you tried to do. If you boot the 4.7-RELEASE
install CD-ROM, sysinstall(8) utility starts and guides you through the
installation sequence. If you use the builtin fdisk frontend, you never
should be bothered with harddisk geometry.

> That seems very confusing to me.
> LINUX Kernel  2.4.20 can not handle the Ali 5229 UltraDMA Controller and the
> ALI M1649 + M1535D Chipset, but FreeBSD seems to be able to handle
> that.
>
> What to do ?

Depends on what you expect.

> I need a FreeOS on this system; I don't know what to try next.

I recomment to stay at 4.7 and if you have some staying power. If you
give up fast, try a current SuSE - they are much close to windows but free.

I think questions@ is a good start.

> thanX in Advance
>
> Helmut

Viel Glück,
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W