Date:      09 Jul 1999 08:29:09 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        Tim Hirst <thirst@hiverworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile Problems

Tim Hirst <thirst@hiverworld.com> writes:

> I am attempting to complie a unix kernel for the first time. I have been
> using BSD and Linux for almost six month, but I heard that compiling
> your own kernel not only increased performance but also was a sort of
> "right-of-passage" (if that were the case, I beleive I would have been

"Rite" of passage.  The "right" to compile a kernel you got just by
installing FreeBSD.

> thrown to the wolves a while ago) My new kernel seems to be dying right
> when hte generic one would swich to root (after the "npx0: INT 16
> interface" line).

In general, my advice is to try starting from the GENERIC kernel and
making sure you can compile that first.  Then you can make a few
changes at a time and narrow the trouble down. In this case, a quick
look showed me at least one thing that looks funny, though: you have
both sc0 and vt0 enabled, which is surely one console driver too many.

Be well.