Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:22:19 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Jeffrey Meltzer <jeffrey@meltzer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Libretto

Jeffrey Meltzer wrote:
> I'm having some problems setting up FreeBSD on the Libretto 50CT with a
>  Linksys Ethercard Combo, which is supposedly supported by FreeBSD.  I
>  run through the PAO install disk, and when it gets to the nic part, it
>  finds the card as a Linksys Ethercard Combo, but says it is
> unsupported,
>  and then aborts. Anybody have any idea what to try next?

Sure.

Look in /etc/pccard.conf to determine the format of each card's
description.  (I'm doing this from memory, so my terminology will
suck). Each card is described by a paragraph that looks like

card "<regexp1>" "<regexp2>"
	<stuff>
	<stuff>

<regexp1> is the manufacturer, <regexp2> is a description.

Look in /var/log/messages for the turd that pccardd put in there
logging the failure, and use that to start a ^card "..." "..."
paragraph in pccardd.conf.

You'll need to use pccardc to "dumpcis" the card to find out which
config to use.

Get your paragraph right, HUP pccardd, and you're cool!

With those clues and TFM, you should be OK. :-)

Mark Murray