Date:      Wed, 05 Jul 2000 16:06:47 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   exchange a CNAME for an MX?

I recently added a CNAME for a domain, but in doing so, I lose my MX
host for said domain, an example:

[named.conf]
zone "whatever.com" {
	type master;
	file "/database/named/records/whatever.com";
}

[/database/named/records/whatever.com] *before changes

@	IN	SOA	ns.govital.net. hostmaster.govital.net. (
	2000070501
	10800
	3600
	8432000
	38400 )
	IN	NS	ns.govital.net.
	IN	NS	ns2.govital.net.
	IN	MX 100  mail.govital.net.
mail	IN	CNAME	mail.govital.net.
www	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.
ftp	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.

When I use this file as the zonefile, it all works fine, sendmail
returns 'mail.govital.net' as the domain's MX host. After I change it by
adding the following, I get no MX host returned by sendmail, but I can
at least now bring up saig website as either 'whatever.com', or
'www.whatever.com'. I understand that it would be preferable to use A
records to CNAMEs so as to eliminate a second lookup; however we are
looking at changing our upstream provider (and thus our IP blocks)
shortly and would rather just have to change the records for
govital.net, than every site we host.

[/database/named/records/whatever.com] *after changes

@	IN	SOA	ns.govital.net. hostmaster.govital.net. (
	2000070501
	10800
	3600
	8432000
	38400 )
	IN	NS	ns.govital.net.
	IN	NS	ns2.govital.net.
	IN	MX 100  mail.govital.net.
	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.
mail	IN	CNAME	mail.govital.net.
www	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.
ftp	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.

I even tried changing the file to include absolute mappings rather than
included tabs, like this:

[/database/named/records/whatever.com] *after changes

whatever.com.	IN	SOA	ns.govital.net. hostmaster.govital.net. (
	2000070501
	10800
	3600
	8432000
	38400 )
whatever.com.		IN	NS	ns.govital.net.
whatever.com.		IN	NS	ns2.govital.net.
whatever.com.		IN	MX 100  mail.govital.net.
whatever.com.		IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.
mail.whatever.com.	IN	CNAME	mail.govital.net.
www.whatever.com.	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.
ftp.whatever.com.	IN	CNAME	web001.govital.net.

That still doesn't give me my MX host. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong
here, or of a better way with which I should be doing what I am?

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com