Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:24:10 +0100
From:      "Rob" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Install fail on Dell PowerEdge 1550

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.3 from an ISO image I got from
ftp.uk.freebsd.org on a Dell PowerEdge 1550 server.

I can't seem to get it to work... I've tried several different options in
the installation process, and everything installs 'ok', but then when it
reboots it doesnt work.

If I did an install using a standard MBR rather than the bootmanager I just
get the message 'Missing Operating System', and it won't do anything... if I
install using the boot manager I get this:

F1    FreeBSD
Default: F1 _ (the cursor)

The cursor flashes, but if I press enter or F1 or anything like that it just
beeps at me...

I'm now trying each time with a minimal install, using all the other default
options (I'm pressing A for 'all' the space when asked how much of the
harddrive I want to use).

Does anyone have *any* ideas? I was getting this problem with 4.1 so I've
spent a considerable amount of time getting hold of the 4.3 ISO, and getting
it burnt :0(

Its really annoying because a year ago as a pet project (at work) I put
together a box using standard plain jane hardware (IDE etc...) which worked
really well, and impressed the pants of everyone - since then we're totally
going the BSD / open source route on everything, but now I've come to put it
on some more powerful hardware it isn't working :0(

Its got to be something I'm doing wrong...

Help please!
-Rob

http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk

"May the forks be with us." - Blue Raja (Mystery Men)

Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes less and less
obvious as you begin to study the universe.
For example, there are no solids in the universe.
There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums.
There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
---- R. Buckminster Fuller