Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:25:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Hung Michael Nguyen <miker@cs.utexas.edu>
To:        ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu (Justin Ashworth)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A couple of things...

>   Does anybody know how to save config options in XEmacs? I set what I
> wanted, chose the 'Save Options' option, restarted XEmacs and my settings
> were back to the default. Any ideas?

I just had this problem, after upgrading my XEmacs from 19.13 to 19.14
(from the source, not from the package). It seems that when XEmacs reads
your .emacs file, it will stop if there is an error, and therefore never
read in the .xemacs-options file. In my case, it was stuff from when I used
GNU Emacs.

>   Also, I just reinstalled my FreeBSD partition to add some disk space
> and clean out some beefy ports that I no longer wanted. Since then I
> haven't been able to
>   1. Receive mail from an outside address at this computer and
>   2. Enter X without first dialing my ISP.
>   That dialup problem is VERY strange as I have NOTHING in my .xinitrc,
> .xsession, .fvwmrc, .Xdefaults, or anything else that requires an
> Internet connection to run. I installed procmail thinking that would
> solve the mail reception problem, but it didn't.

I had this problem when my resolver config was screwed up. X took a long
time starting up. See if your hostname is not in /etc/hosts.

Mike.