Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:37:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rsowders@usgs.gov (Robert Sowders)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH Working Like rsh

Robert Sowders wrote,

[snip some good step-by-step directions, but directrions for stuff I
presonally had already figured out.]

> If you would like to do password less logins with
> RSA passphrase then you will need to do the
> following.  Be aware that the scary statements
> about null passphrased private key are there for a
> good reason.  If someone can steal your key or copy
> it then they will have root on the receiving machine
> with no questions asked, but to do this from any
> machine other than the one they stole it from is very
> difficult and again they would have to have a toehold
> on your machine to start with.
> So Caveot Emptor.

OK, I guess this is what I was really after. First, is RSA-based host
authentification not better than old-fashioned rhosts authentification?
Isn't it better to use this, even if I am going to have to go with
null-passphrases, than to use rhost authentification within SSH (or
gods forbid, using the actual rsh suite).

Hmmm... Now that I think about it, there really is no reason for root
to be able to ssh in from any other machine but that one (I typically
ssh in with a mortal user and su to root when being
interactive). Hmmm... How does an individual user tell the sshd
configuration which hosts to allow access to this account? The
~/.ssh/authroized_keys lets people in, but it does not necesarily turn
people away. I would like to be able to restrict what hosts can access
root, but not put any restrictions on certain other users. If that is
possible, it seems using the null-passphrase would not be much of a
risk (if it even is in the first place).

Thanks a lot for the very complete reply.