Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 20:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Melting 2 partitions into 1

you CAN do that but you have to REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

0/ write down (or better, print) teh output of fdisk and disklabel
for the appropriate device.
1/ boot the fixit floppy, (I presume it has fdisk, disklabel and dd)
2/ copy the first 8K from the existing BSD partition to the first 8k of
the Win95 partition using dd and teh raw devices
( dd if=/dev/rwd0s2 of=/dev/rwd0s1 count=16)
2/ using fdisk you can make the win95 partition
a BSD partition.
and add the space from the 2nd (BSD) part to the first (now BSD)
and delete the 2nd
Since in this version of BSD, the offsets of the BSD partitions are
given in ABSOLUTE SECTOR OFFSETS from the beginning of the device,
the slices should all still be right in the table at the beginning.
Make sure it's set active (flags 0x80)
3/ try boot it.
it SHOULD boot as before.

4/ running disklabel you should see that ther is a big empty space at teh
beginning of the BSD slice.  using disklabel -e wd0
edit the disklabel to point an unused partition to the empty space
5/
newfs it
6/ mount it
(there are other variants of this scheme)

julian