Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:12:12 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lpt driver broken?

"Alexander N. Kabaev" wrote:

> > But I remember some posts about a lpt panic some days ago. I tried to
> > compile a new kernel because I think this is resolved, but I have to
> > solve some problems with my system at the moment.
>
> My -CURRENT used to crash every time lpr has been used but the panic went away
> when John Baldwin committed his ithread cleanup megapatch:
>
>   jhb         2001/02/09 09:47:47 PST
>
>    Modified files:
>      sys/i386/i386        nexus.c
>      sys/i386/isa         intr_machdep.c intr_machdep.h ithread.c
>    Log:
>    Use the MI ithread helper functions in the x86 interrupt code.
>
> The kernel from Feb 9 worked just fine for me, but then the following
> commit has been made and the system started to crash again:
>
>   jhb         2001/02/09 18:41:51 PST
>
>   Modified files:
>     sys/i386/isa         ithread.c
>   Log:
>   Re-enable preemption on interrupts.  My last commit accidentally reverted
>   it as I was playing with some other ways of doing kernel preemption.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.14      +9 -2      src/sys/i386/isa/ithread.c
>
> If you badly need your printer to work, you can simply revert this patch.

I booted with -c and set the irq and drq to -1 so that the
driver is running in polled mode.
it's now printing, slowly, but I am going to bed now so as long
as it's done by the morning, I'm happy :-)

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow.
(I'm not interrupting this print run for anything, after spending most of
the afternoon trying to get it to print at all.)  :-)

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001