Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 13:02:12 +1000
From:      "Richard Grace" <rgrace@itworks.com.au>
To:        "Sergey Perfiliev" <secure21@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBsd Install problems

> Richard,
>
> Thank you for taking your time to respond to the message.
>
>  I checked to make sure that power saving features are off and it doesn't
> seem like this 486 has them.
> I was advised that it may not be possible to install release 4 on 8MB of
> RAM.  So, I will try upgrading the RAM to 20MB.

It will be much nicer to work with if you have more memory.

> Another concern that I have is that when I install from the local FTP
> server, the installation goes upto 51% of Bin and halts.  It does
> say "Write
> failure on transfer! (wrote 199608 bytes of 240640 bytes) (100%)
> Could this
> also be the result of "not enough memory"?

Quite possibly, although I would also suspect the disk drive, try doing a
low-level format of the drive using the BIOS utility, or even an MSDOS disk
with the scandisk.exe program.  Note - this will destroy any data on the
disk.

> Thank you for your help in advance.

That's quite alright.

Richard Grace.