Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:49:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EtherExpress16 problems

   Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 10:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>

   > Recently, I began getting
   >   /kernel: ix0: device timeout
   > messages on my main box.  I also (although not invariably)
   > get
   >  ixintr without being inited!!
   > at boot time (q.v. dmesg log attached below).  Is it possible

   Hm.  I don't like this line:

   > ix0 at 0x210-0x21f irq 4 maddr 0xd0000 msize 32768 on isa
   > ix0: address 00:aa:00:37:06:87

   IRQ 4?!?  I've never used that.  Try 5 instead.  4 is probably being used
   by something else.

   >  ixintr without being inited!!

   That should solve this too.

I was using irq 10, but moved things around because I was experiencing
the symptoms already described.  I know that 4 is free because I have
disabled com1 in the bios in order to free an interrupt.  ix0 is now
up, but essentially quiescent:

; vmstat -i
interrupt      total      rate
clk0 irq0     4670267      100
rtc0 irq8     5976524      127
fdc0 irq6           1        0
aha0 irq11      45919        0
sc0 irq1        42722        0
sio1 irq3     1986304       42
mse0 irq5     2935141       62
ix0 irq4         9430        0
sb0 irq10           1        0
Total        15666309      335

These problems began within the last week (running current).  I intend
eventually to resolve them by working through the kernel source
changes, but I was hoping someone might have short-cut info...

(Incidentally, I do not understand about IRQs 2 and 9.  Is there a
document I might read?  Are they available for assignment to devices,
generally?)

//alk