Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 00:15:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        Matthew Gilbert <agilbertm@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

It seems Matthew Gilbert wrote:
> >     So, general question to everyone having crashes during heavy
> >     IDE workloads:  Please post your /var/run/dmesg.boot
> >     output.

> atapci0: <VIA 82C686 ATA100 controller> port 0xd000-0xd00f at device 7.1 on

You have the VIA 82c686b southbridge chip which is known to cause severe
data corruption problems if the BIOS does not setup the northbidge
chip correctly. Please check with your board vendor if they have a
new updated BIOS that fixes this problem. This is not an ATA specific
problem, but a problem with the PCI subsystem in general on these
chips that manifests it self on high PCI load (which the ATA subsytem
is quite capable of delivering)...

A fix for this is present in -current, and if I get permission from
the RE, it will go into 4.5 also, but a BIOS fix is by far the right
way to fix this problem.

-Søren