Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 16:40:58 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Jim Hatfield <jim.hatfield@isltd.insignia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I fixed my problem

Jim Hatfield wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Re my earlier mail about the Monitors database.
>
> It was due to my misunderstanding of how the Novice install works. After
> selecting the X-Developer distribution, I got a popup asking if I wanted
> Des. I selected Yes, then got to the screen where you select which bits
> of XFree86 you want. At this point I realised I should have selected No
> since the CD was exported from the US and presumably doesn't have DES on it.
>
> At this point the last selection in the menu says something like "Go
> Back" which I interpreted as Undo, so selected it. However it didn't
> really mean that, and I never saw that screen again, so presumably I had
> unknowingly selected a subset which didn't include the Monitor database.
>
> I redid the whole install and now I have it.
>
> Apologies if anyone wasted time on this.
>
> Jim Hatfield

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-doc" in the body of the message
I also think that the installation program is not perfect.
It took 2-3 install the first time I installed FreeBSD, and I also
messed up with space/enter and didn't understand why I was not getting
the previous screen. After, I discovered that you can do post-install
config, at the end of the installation.
Your not alone ;-)
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]