Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "ifconfig" == "ifconfig -a"

> Hmmm... what led to this idea was:  people who use "route print" to
> print the routing table in "other" OSes need to be informed how to
> print the routing table under FreeBSD.  If that's really true, some
> how I have a feeling they would already know about "netstat -r" (which
> AFAIK is pretty much ubiquitous among Unicies.)
>
> Is it just me, who thinks this?

Nope - not just you.  Just because Linux does something in a particular
way doesn't mean that FBSD should.  Linux is the exception, not the rule,
as far as LOTS of the system config commands are concerned -- if "making
it act like other systems" is to be an issue, we should make it act like
the big boys, not like the one rogue system that's just
different (yet popular) enough to cause some confusion....

(DEC UNIX)
ig88:~$ route
usage: route [-n] [-C] cmd [[-net|-host] <dst>[/bitmask] <gw> [-netmask
<mask>] <args>]

(AIX)
wookie:~$ route
usage: route [ -nqCvf ]  cmd [[ -<qualifers> ] args ]

(FBSD)
bobafett:~$ route
usage: route [-dnqtv] command [[modifiers] args]

...not to mention "netstat -f inet", /etc/exports, and several others.

--mike