Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:46:58 -0400
From:      Jason Zawacki <jzawacki@appliedtheory.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vinum IDE RAID5 troubles

Hello,

I'm having big problems trying to get RAID5 to work under vinum.  I'm not
sure what the problem is.  Here is my setup:

- Abit BP6 motherboard with 2x400Mhz celerons
- 512MB of RAM
- One Adaptec 2940 SCSI card with a 9 GB drive and a CDROM attached
- Two Promise ATA/100 Cards (Fastrack/100LP and Ultra/100TX2)
- 7 60 GB Maxtor drives (brand new)
- FreeBSD 4.4-Stable (cvsup'd about 2 weeks ago)

The 7 drives are connected to various headers on the Promise cards (ie, none
are connected to the HPT Headers on the motherboard, since I've had about a
billion problems with it, even with the latest HPT BIOS (1.28)).

Now, the problems I've been happen after successfully getting the RAID5
volume up and running (setting up the volume, initting it, and newfsing it).
Under heavy I/O (when xferring a 4GB file over at about 2MB/s) it gets about
halfway through the xfer, and then one of the controllers will time out and
jump down to PIO mode, and then the rest follow.  After this happens, at a
random time after, the box freezes up resulting in huge data corruption on
the volume.  Also, one of the drives always goes stale, requiring me to start
it again which sometimes results in a freeze after a while.

I guess my question is, with all the problems I've had with the BP6 board,
and assuming I've exhausted all my options (I have spent a significant amount
of time trying to get this to work), is there a better hardware combo to do
this with?  If so, I'll relegate the bp6 to 5.0-current testing =)

Thanks!
Jason