Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 23:41:45 +0000
From:      "Þorður Ivarsson" <totii@est.is>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PPP telnet filter

Joe "Marcus" Clarke wrote:

> Hey, I'm trying to create a ppp filter that will deny telnet requests
> coming from the Internet, but allow them coming from 192.168.100/24.
> Everything I try seems to produce unwanted results.  My situation is
> this: I want the people on the Intranet (192.168.100/24) to be able to
> telnet to the server, but everyone else sholud be denied.  I hope I'm
> being clear in this.  I've tried a few o/ifilters with no real luck.  I
> always seem to block ALL telnet requests, or allow all of them.  Oh, and
> everything else should be allowed to pass normally.  I have some filters
> up to prevent ICMP keep-alive, and dial, and they work fine.  Thanks.
>
> Joe Clarke

One solution is to use xinetd and it works fine it is very easy to
install and maintain.

Other is to use IPfirewall through kernel. I tried following rule:

   ipfw add 3001 deny tcp from any to any 23 in via tun0

I am not familiar to filtering in user ppp.

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!