Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 02:51:29 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Freddie Cash <fcash@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:03:12AM -0800 I heard the voice of
Freddie Cash, and lo! it spake thus:
> > Mike writes:
> > > Which is why WNT has the same relation to
> > > VMS that HAL has to IBM.
>
> > None at all, you mean?  I agree.
>
> V  -->  W
> M  -->  N
> S  -->  T

I won't argue this.

> H  -->  I
> A  -->  B
> L  -->  M

I will argue this.

> No, it's not a coincidence.

Yes it is.

---
For many years I have been embarassed by the -- totally unfounded --
rumor that the name HAL was derived by one letter displacement from IBM.
In an attempt to exorcise this computer-age myth, I even went to the
trouble of getting Dr. Chandra, HAL's incentor, to deny it in _2010:
Odyssey Two_.

-- Arthur C. Clarke, "Acknowledgements", _3001: The Final Odyssey_
---

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com