Date:      Sun, 12 May 1996 22:41:13 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make world breakage...

[copied to current]

Bill Paul wrote:
> [...]
BINT
> > ERFACE_PRIVATE -DPOSIX_MISTAKE -I/a/src/lib/libc/locale -DYP -c /a/src/lib/
libc
> > /gen/getpwent.c -o getpwent.o
> > >
> > > [chop]
> > >
> > > Well, I'll fix this of course, but, I think I'm confused: have we
> > > always been building the world with '-pedantic -ansi?'

Hmm... I fixed this by hand, and like you said, it fell over left, right
and centre with lots more inlines. I did a hunt for -pedantic -ansi,
and cant find where it is creeping in. I am as confused as hell, now.

> > Not sure. Must be? I just checked my make.conf for nonstandard CFLAGS,
> > and that is commented out. I check my sources out of CVS, so I can see
> > if anything else is different, and so far everything (except this) is
> > peachy...
>
> But I don't understand... there are other places in libc that use
> the 'inline' keyword which should also fail (look in libc/stdlib/getenv.c,
> among other places). At least, they fail when I try to compile with
> with -pedantic -ansi. If we've been using -pedantic -ansi all along,
> then these should also have failed, unless they're doing something
> magic that I just can't see. Have you tried building these to see
> what happens? If they barf too, then you'd assume someone would have
> noticed it a long time ago. Also, I made these changes before
> the last SNAP went out: if they don't compile, then how'd they manage
> to get a release built?

Oink? I haven't a clue...

> If you change the 'inline' keywords in getpwent.c to '__inline__' then
> it will compile (though there will be other non-fatal warnings). Try
> this and see if it completes normally. My money says it'll die somewhere
> else.
>
> Note that ypserv also uses the 'inline' keyword, so it too may barf
> (if you are indeed using the -pedantic -ansi flags for everything).
>
> I'm still confused.

Me too. Big time.

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key