Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:37:50 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Initial performance testing w/ postmark & softupdates...

At 2:13 PM +0000 2000/2/17, Stephen Roome wrote:

>  If we have a good benchmark that provides useful information I can
>run it on a
>  large amount of different HP machines. Then again, it might be worth
>  considering the possibility of using "industry standard" benchmarks - if
>  indeed there are any that are relevant.

	When you're looking at the performance of a machine and how it
may work as a mail system, I think postmark is at least a decent
benchmark.  It's not the only one I'd use, but it's certainly one of
the main ones.  I'd also use rawio (FreeBSD only, unfortunately) to
give me some pretty good ideas of what kind of performance I can
expect from the underlying hardware, and I haven't really made up my
mind with regards to the others.

>  http://www.unixsolutions.hp.com/products/servers/lclass/performance.html
>  (I've never seen or used one of these myself, maybe out of the range ?)

	Uh, yes.  Slightly out of range, indeed.  We don't have anything
here that would be comparable, save possibly one machine.  The Dell
1300 I ran that with was a pretty low-end machine, relatively
speaking.  Maybe the equivalent of a D-Class HP box.

>  http://linux.cis.nctu.edu.tw/docs/mysql/db-perf.html

	I personally am not really interested in database benchmarks.
I'm looking more at disk performance, both raw and filesystem, in a
USENET news/mail spool context.

>  Anyway, I was pleased to see your original benchmarks anyway, sorry if it
>  sounded otherwise.

	Not a problem.  Thanks!

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|