Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2014 22:04:17 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How are ports built now

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm an oldtimer, having used the port building system for years.  Recently I
> upgraded two servers to 8.4 and implemented the pkgng system.  Now, when I
> run portmaster -ad, it seems to keep reinstalling the same ports over and
> over again.
>
> Is portmaster not the appropriate method for updating ports with pkgng? Are
> we forced to now go to binary packages only?

I think you are a bit confused here. AFAIK, portmaster, portupgrade
and so on are management tools for installing and upgrading ports.
However, to update the ports tree on your machine (which is what you
use when you are building from source) you need another tool.
Supported versions of FreeBSD have the portsnap(8) command, which is
used to update the ports tree.

HTH
--
Regards,