Date:      Mon, 06 May 1996 16:31:40 -0500
From:      "Daniel F. Faules" <dfaules@intellinet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2940UW + Quantum Atlas XP32150W Support

I am trying to install FreeBSD for the first time and am having trouble
with the installation.

I have a Pentium 133Mhz system with 32MB of RAM, and an IDE CDROM Drive
+ Adaptec 2940UW + Quantum Atlas XP32150W.

FreeBSD 2.1 (walnut creek CDROM) for software.  When i do the install,
everything works fine, until i go to boot the system from the Hard Drive,
at which point i get an F? which will take no input.

Reading the Running FreeBSD book, a suggestion is made that the disk geometry
is not correct, and that i need to change it in the FDisk program.  A call to
quantum gave me the following values for  cyl/hd/sect  (3852/10/109)
The Fdisk program refuses to take these values, and insists on replacing it
with 2050/64/32.

Finally, my questions.  Is the Adaptec 2940UW correctly supported by 2.1?
Are the cyl/hd/sect values that i have correct?  Has anyone made this combo
work?

Any and all help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance....

- Dan Faules
  dfaules@intellinet.com

Daniel F. Faules        \ Networking Services and /    IntelliNet-ISP, LLC
dfaules@intellinet.com   \  Internet Access for  / Voice:  +1.501.376.7676
http://www.intellinet.com \  the Arkansas Area  /    FAX:  +1.501.375.3063