Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 20:29:48 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic

nm tells me module_register (dugh) not module_init.

For me, no amount of dumps on anything will produce a crash dump. On my
laptop it just says bad dump device and on my server (which is not crashing
now) I get a count down but no crash modules are produced.

btw, these are 100% elf and I don't think the panic is a smp problem.

Maybe Peter will know what the problem is.

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 12:15:22AM +0100, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Tom Jackson wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > I'm getting this crash, not on elf(kernel+exec)/smp/scsi but on a old
> > Thinkpad with a pccard ed0, a elf(kernel+exec)/up/ide. Thought since the
> > reference to modules that pcvt instead of sc0 might work - no such luck.
> > I get the panic right after the pcic is probed and before the pccard is
> > initialized.
> >
> > I'm not getting any crash dumps on any of my elf systems.
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been talking to Chuck about this - if the panic is similar / the same as
> his, you won't get a crashdump - as it's happening too soon into the boot
> process...
>
> The only thing I could think of was to have a line similar to:
>
> config          kernel  root on XXX dumps on YYYY
>
> In the kernel config - Though LINT warns against this, it might be the only
> way of telling the system where to dump to - as it's panics so soon during
> boot...
>
> I'm hoping someone who knows more what there talking about will step in with
> "That's a good/bad idea" - and why...
>
> I seem to remember using the kernel config to specify the dump device, but
> that was from ages ago (2.2.2? :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Karl

Tom