Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:58:36 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing software

On Wednesday 28 March 2001 10:44, Ashby Gochenour wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> I have a question about installing software.
> What is the best way to locate and install?
> I've been using /stand/sysinstall so far, but
> that takes a long time for me to find what I am
> looking for if I even do find it.
>
> For example, I want to install netscape and imapd on a 4.2 system.
> I've spent about an hour going through package groups and finally listed
> all packages and still didn't find what I was looking for.
>
> In debian linux, I would just do:
>
> host> apt-cache search packagename
>
> host> apt-get install package.deb
>
> I've been very impressed by FreeBSD so far, and would be even more
> impressed if I could figure out a better way to find and install
> packages :) Any help or pointers to a FM to RTFM would be much
> appriciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ashby Gochenour
> Unix Administration
> NTELOS
> NOC

I think the ports are what you are looking for. You can install the ports
tree from /stand/sysinstall. They are nicely grouped and most fetch, make and
install with just a make install command. You can get the info on ports at:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports

Hope this helps

Beech
     Beech Rintoul - Network Manager - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | P.O. Box 230510
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99523-0510