Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org

The following reply was made to PR advocacy/31194; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To: "Szilveszter Adam" <sziszi@bsd.hu>,
	<freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:45:55 -0700

 First: close this PR.  This is not broken behavior.

 Your ISP's mailserver is broken.  No properly configured mailserver on the
 Internet issues an unqualified name with HELO.  Your ISP's mailserver
 must be listed in the global DNS with a fully-qualified DNS name in order
 for it to receive incoming mail (ie: foo.bar.com or whatever) in the first
 place.  Thus, it's in effect parading around with a fully-qualified DNS
 name from the rest of the world's perspective.  For it to not issue that
 fully qualified DNS name in it's own HELO's is not only an error, it's
 rude as well.

 Please see the explanation atached to PR misc/26744 - this topic has been
 beat to death and everyone is tired of it.  Nobody likes spammers and the
 only way we know how to fight them is to ENFORCE absolutely proper SMTP
 mail exchanges so the spammers may run but they can't hide.  Your choice
 is to either beat your ISP over the head until they start doing it right,
 or obtain a static IP number with a valid reverse address record on it from
 them and set up your own mailserver and have at it.

 All major ISP's such as AOL, Earthlink, MSN, etc. have no problem complying
 with the Questions mailing list restrictions.  If an ISP with millions of
 users processing thousands of pieces of mail an hour has no problem complying,
 then your ISP can do it too.