Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 08:50:49 -0500
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to start? Heres a few overflows.

> : *rdump           overflow when giving it a partition to dump
> :          ex: rdump -0 [A*1024]
>
> These are fixed in -current.  I've not backported to stable, but should.

Seeing as it's suid, It should probably be expidited. I myself took the
suid bit off of it on my -STABLE boxes (I usually do, since I make no
use of dump as non-root).

> : !doscmd    overflow in any argument.
> :            ex: doscmd [A*4000]
>
> Tip of the iceburg.  That's why it isn't set*id anymore.

I figured as much. I seem to remember a while back that it was at least
sgid kmem, and thought I found another good one. I was happily suprised
to see the bit had been taken off however. The less set*id there is the
happier I am.

> : #0  0x280714c5 in wmove () from /usr/lib/libcurses.so.2
> : #1  0x804b916 in free ()
> : #2  0xbfbfdfdc in ?? ()
> : #3  0x2807bc4c in tgetflag () from /usr/lib/libtermcap.so.2
> : #4  0x2807130b in setterm () from /usr/lib/libcurses.so.2
> : #5  0x28071159 in setterm () from /usr/lib/libcurses.so.2
> : #6  0x28070759 in initscr () from /usr/lib/libcurses.so.2
> : #7  0x804b529 in free ()
> : #8  0x80499fd in free ()
>
> If these are really to be believed, and you are recursively entering
> free, then I can't help you with this at all.  malloc isn't
> reentrant.  However, the traceback looks funny now that I take a
> closer look at it.

Did you have any luck re-creating it with the script I sent you?
Interested to see if this becomes a systat or a curses thing..