Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:55:24 -0500
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Jason Scott" <freepix@sirius.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Backup methods

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:30:26 -0800, Jason Scott wrote:

>I would like to know what type of backup system (Jaz, Zip, etc.) FreeBSD
>endorses, or encourages as a means to do a backup of a system.

To "endorse" and to "encourage" may not be the right words because the
answer to that question would be none. If you ask which one it supports
that is a different question.

SCSI it would support most tapes and probably most removable media
(Jaz, Zip, ....).
IDE or parallel I think people have got the parallel zip to work.
Did you try searching the Handbook or the archives? I seem to recall
reading something on the handbook.

>I'm not sure if manufactures enclose information on how to setup their
>hardware/software with UNIX, but if there is any documentation you could
>provide me I would appreciate it...

Man dump
Man tar
Should get you started