Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2014 22:22:41 +0200
From:      "A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How are ports built now

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

Paul Schmehl wrote:

> Recently I upgraded two servers to 8.4 and implemented the pkgng system.
[snip]
> Is portmaster not the appropriate method for updating ports with pkgng?

It depends whether you're talking about *building* packages from the ports
tree or installing binary packages.

As for building from ports, Portmaster doesn't care whether you're using
the new PNGNG or the old pkg_* tools.

> Now, when I run portmaster -ad, it seems to keep reinstalling the same
> ports over and over again.

That's strange. Perhaps PKGNG hasn't been initialised properly on your
system(s), that's all I can think of at the moment. Did you use pkg2ng?

> Are we forced to now go to binary packages only?

No, of course not. However, it might be that Portmaster cannot handle
*installing* binary packages in the new format. I'm not sure because I let
Portmaster build PKGNG-style binary packages and use PKGNG to install
those on other jails/systems, but I seem to recall something along the
lines of Portmaster not yet being able to use PKGNG-style binary package
repositories. I might be way off here, though.

AvW

--=20
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24--