Date:      Sat, 09 Jan 1999 03:55:12 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        alexlh@funk.org, damascus@eden.rutgers.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeze when trying to mount FAT32

Bruce Evans wrote:
> >This happened to me a few times in current.  Seemed to happen to me only if
> >I accidentally typed in mount /dev/wd0s1 /msdos first.  (this was not
> >fat32.. but still i got the lock up).  And then i typed in mount -t msdos
> >/dev/wd0s1 /msdos.. and it froze.  hardlock.  mount_msdos /dev/wd0s1 /msdos
> >the first time always seems to work for me.
>
> vfsload() still execs /sbin/modload to load an LKM.  This should fail,
> because -current doesn't have any LKMs.  Everyone should have removed
> the old ones a week or so ago when they stopped being installed.  LKMs
> and modules are only valid when compiled with the same headers as the
> kernel.

Actually, it will try to kldload() it first and will fall back to the old
way.  vfsload() is kinda redundant now, as mount(2) will load it if
needed.  We can remove the #ifdef FreeBSD code in the mount_* routines and
have just plain  mount("msdos", ...);  which will load the module if
needed.

> Bruce

Cheers,
-Peter