Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 03:01:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John M Vinopal <banshee@abattoir.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   routing by protocol

I live in CA outside of someplace where I can obtain centrex ISDN.
Therefore I must watch my metering minutes.  As my telnet sessions
are often longlived, they get passed over a permanent v.34 line; ISDN
is used in the evenings and simply set as a default route for those
hours and then dropped.

What I'd like to do is redirect all outgoing requests to WWW servers
to go out the isdn line.  Ie: rdr 0.0.0.0:80 -> tun1.  I've thought
of a number of ways to do this; all are horrible hacks.

* use ipfw to divert packets to :80, use custom hack (or nc) at the
	divert port to readdress and source route out.
* hack my proxy server to source route.
* have an external proxy server with a static route through the proper
	interface.
* build a custom route for each www access through the proper interface.
* dedicate a seperate machine as a proxy server internally with a default
	route out.

It appears that my isp's disallow source routing however.  Building routes
one way or another appears the only viable method.  Or is it?  Have I missed
something?

-j